Singer Shawn Mendes stepped on the brakes on his highly anticipated world tour in an effort to take care of his mental health.
The 23-year-old hitmaker “Stitches” said he has “reached a breaking point” and needs time away from the spotlight to pause and reset.
Mendes’ tour, titled “Wonder: The World Tour,” kicked off last month in Portland and was set to run through August 2023.
“It breaks my heart to say this, but unfortunately I have to postpone the next three weeks of shows in Uncasville, CT until further notice,” the Canadian singer told fans in an Instagram post on Friday.
The “Treat You Better” singer admitted that he never found it easy to spend so much time away from his loved ones, and admitted this time was no different.
“I’ve been touring since I was 15 and to be honest it’s always been hard being away from friends and family,” he explained.
“After being off the road for a few years I was ready to dive back in, but the decision was premature and unfortunately the toll of the road and the pressure has caught up with me and I have reached a breaking point.”
Mendes said he spoke to his team and mental health professionals, who advised him to “first and foremost take the time to heal and take care of myself and my mental health.”
“As soon as there are more updates, I promise to let you know that I love you,” he added.
It’s not the first time Mendes has shared his mental health issues with fans.
In April, he shared a lengthy message: Twitter saying he often wonders “what it is that I should be doing with my life.”
In a continued tweethe assured his fans he was fine, tweeting, “I’m really doing so well! I just want to communicate with you guys in a really honest way. so I just typed a big old note for you lol.”
Mendes would continue his tour in St. Paul, Minnesota on Saturday.